Thursday, March 11, 2010

Corey Haim and my lawnmower died the same day

Yesterday I was somewhat shocked upon hearing the news of the demise of one of "The Coreys" from the late 80's teeney-bopper movies and magazine covers. Corey Haim always seemed to me a tragic figure in pop-culture Americana. Lacking the charisma of the other Corey, Feldman, Mr. Haim never seemed to catch the attention of the public. Even as Feldman hit bottom, and had become a puchline, the public still took notice, and allowed him a degree of redemption in the eary 2000's as he got married, had a reality show, and became by all measures--quasi-normal. Not so with Mr. Haim. It seemed that he was almost trying to out-Feldman Feldman in his screwing up. And yet... scantly a notice. He showed up on Feldman's reality show a boorish, petulant loser-- and still, no one cared. He finally took the tragic end, that will secure him press coverage and public attention--until the next untimely celebrity death. Sad, and a waste of a human life. He was a pretty good actor, and The Lost Boys was a classic. I wish his family well, and my condolences.

My lawnmower, on the other hand, chose the same day as Corey Haim to check out as well. Like Haim, my lawnmower had an unfinished feel to its life, having left me with half a lawn cut. Casa Shoehead, it seems, is destined to be the neighborhood eyesore, despite my best efforts. Like Corey Haim, my lawnmower did some good work, made me laugh at times, and left this earth way too soon. Both Corey Haim, and my lawnmower will be missed.

No comments: