Saturday, August 11, 2012

Here come the Perseids!

I was just reminded tonight that the Perseid meteor shower will be very full tonight. I'd almost forgotten completely about them! I've been watching them since I was a little kid--every beginning of August. I missed them last year, and I'm not sure why, because the New Mexico desert would be an amazing venue to witness this marvel. I last saw them in 2010, in a field outside Fresno, with the Lovely Mrs Shoehead. We were separated for over a year, but at this particular point in time she was "around"; often adding to the tension I was already having with my landlord at this difficult chapter of The Shoehead Chronicles. Kinda like a recurring character,  à la Lilith from Frasier. But I digress... We hung out in a field and did nothing but talk (not about anything of substance) and watch shooting stars. Cowgirl and my two dogs, Bocce Ball and Butch-Butch were there, too, as were numerous coyotes we could hear lurking about. It was a very traumatic and painful time for me, but for some reason, watching the Perseids in the field with my soon-to-be-ex-wife was kinda nice. Like the eye of the shit-storm that was my life; a brief pause in the action. It was also one of the last times I saw her.
Now, I'm not going to let the Ghost of Wives Past sully the joy of watching the yearly celestial spectacle. Your ol' pal Shooey is a lot more cheery and optimistic than that. It just gave me pause to reflect this year. The shower is supposed to be around its peak tonight. I'd love to see some of it, but I'm in a heavily populated suburb of Austin with a lot of surface lights. I could possibly drive out to Hill Country to see some, but I dunno...
Since I haven't seen The Lovely Mrs Shoehead in about two years, naturally I haven't seen my beloved Cowgirl in as long, too. She's an awesome dog, a red Queensland Heeler, who I miss more than the wife sometimes. I think about her all the time, and my two little guys miss their big sis very much. It's a hope of mine to have a picnic--like we did two years ago--with my three babies reunited for an afternoon, and Mrs Shoehead all together for one last time; just laughing, and having fun. Here's the last picnic we had together, and we watched the Perseids later that night...

Bocce, Butch, and Cowgirl - August 4, 2010


No comments: